Lighting & Energy Saving Control Group
The Lighting and Energy Saving Controls Group (LaESCG) provides a useful forum in which industry peers can discuss upcoming legislation, input into government policy and help educate and provide best practice to the business energy demand side sector.
The Lighting and Energy Saving Controls Group (LaESCG) encompasses demand side industry sectors with an interest in:
- Lighting - installation, control & retrofit
- Energy Saving Controls - heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC)
- Building energy management systems (BEMS)
- All other building controls associated with energy saving measures.
The group supports the effective, professional and transparent approach to supplying products and/or managing Energy Saving projects.
Effective: Assisting the end user to achieve and maintain significant energy and cost savings in an economically efficient manner.
Professional: Providing a level of customer care that enhances the reputation of the industry.
Transparent: Establishing clear and concise information about expected energy savings through the use of technology.
- To become a reference point for information on best practice for Lighting and Energy Saving Controls.
- To provide educational resources in various formats.
- To provide articles to the trade press and wider industry, with a strong educational content.
- To provide information on policy, legislation and regulations.
- To provide information on available funding opportunities for initiatives.
- To provide opportunities for end users to share experiences and input regarding their continually developing and changing requirements.
- To influence legislation for the benefit of the end user and their demand side supply chain, and to assist in achieving the governments energy saving targets.
- Encourage and make group members aware of commercial opportunities and those surrounding public sector tenders and contracts.
The strategy should:
- provide a practical way to implement the vision
- set out broad objectives.
- encourage collaboration.
- undertake wider stakeholder engagement.
- have progress (KPIs) monitored by group Chairs / Council.
- Revise the Lighting and Controls Information booklets to harmonise the group message and reflect the same on the new ESTA website
- Submit two articles per year to EiBI and Energyst highlighting Group ambitions, progress and useful information for end users.
- Support and engage in presentations/panel discussion at ESTA events.
- Set up a round table for discussion with end users to gather feedback and market intelligence on what end users require.
- Give a technical presentation and/or write an article on DALI2 (the latest Digital Addressable Lighting Interface protocol)
- Be engaged in the consultation for the next revisions of the Building Regulations (Part L), due out in 2016 and 2019.
- Continue to lobby to have ESTA (along with other trade associations) named on the Energy Technology List as a source of credible companies offering energy saving technology.
- Lobby the Crown Commercial Service to ensure contracts for energy saving initiatives are open to companies of all sizes
Julian Kay is Managing Director of DANLERS Limited, UK manufacturer of energy saving controls for lighting and HVAC. DANLERS Limited is one of ESTAs longest serving members and has been involved with the organisation since 1991. More recently, Julian has been appointed the role of Co-Chair of ESTAs Lighting and Energy Saving Controls Group (LaESCG). In his spare time Julian is a song writer and composer as well as a published children’s book author.